Thursday, August 20, 2020

Why Halo's integration of it's extended universe is...not good.

 I am all for including extended universe fiction into video game story lines, let me preface this piece by stating that. When done right, you can add such little, great details into a game that, for those who have seek out the novels, comics, etc, they have great call backs for their efforts. A Series like World of Warcraft is a great examples of this, with it adding more context for future game expansions. Now, what including extended universe fiction into your games shouldn't do, is hide very important story beats and background behind novels. After a recent play through of the Halo series I am doing with a good friend, specifically Halo 4, and having seen 343 Industries attempt to mix the Halo novels in with the already existing canon they were building in the fourth entry of the series, I feel what and how they are doing it is just...

Well, let's be honest, it isn't good. It's convoluted, and leaves a huge mass hole of confusion in the middle of the games plot, literally a few missions before the end, introducing an insanely important plot point that should not have half of it's background described in only a novel. A background, I will add, is very important to understanding the big reveal in the game. In this short little opinion essay, I will make a quick discussion on how Halo failed it's extended universe integration, and give a suggestion on how they could improve. So, in this post I will be going into a big plot point of Halo 4, and perhaps a bit about the Forerunner trilogy of books as well. Halo spoilers ahead! 

Halo 4 | Games | Halo - Official Site

(image credit; Halo Waypoint)

Near the ending of Halo 4, there is a scene where Master Chief is a shown a vision by a forerunner character called the Librarian. Keep in mind, no point in the video games has this character been discussed or even seen. Here, the Librarian explains to Chief about how in order to defeat the Flood, an alien parasitic species, she went behind the villain of the game, the Didact's back, to implant some genetic coding into certain humans, allowing their genetic code to accelerate and allow them to among other things, evolve past their normal human coding and survive something called the Composer, a weapon that is meant to eliminate the Flood, that is being used by the Didact, the games villain. 

Now, for those who don't know Halo lore, you would think this is a huge plot point. The implications it speaks of, that it isn't just Spartans that are the genetically altered people. If I took anything from that, it's that normal people, even ODSTs, normal soldiers, can have these genes that have been altered long before from the Forerunners. A major point, that 343 chooses to hide behind a trilogy of books titled "Forerunner saga.", a series that follows the Didact and the Librarian, both characters that appear in Halo 4, and a couple other characters that are not even named in the game itself, as it follows the first wipe of all life from the galaxy. An event that has been discussed in the Halo games, and something that has seemingly driven the plots (as seen as the main plot for Chief has seemingly been to stop the Halo Rings from firing). But the main plot taken from the books, is the fact that everything the human race has done, has been set up by the forerunners. Discovering our tech, everything from AIs to the Spartans themselves. Has all been set up by them. Which, one could say is a huge reveal for a series that has gone as long as Halo has.

Now, I know little to nothing about Halo lore. I know basically the same as everyone else does, as someone who only looks at Halo on the surface. But even so, as I watched the cut scene that glossed over the entire plot point, and then asked the person I was playing with 'what the fuck was that?' and he responded with 'oh, this is when they started pulling book lore.' I did what anyone else did. I looked up the book, interested for a moment to know the backstory and what Halo was trying to lead me to. Extended universe, obviously. But when I learned the fact that it was in a trilogy of books, and not one, and the fact that this was a huge plot thread that was hidden in that book trilogy...well, you could say my decision not to read it was because of laziness (as we all obviously have time to read now), and honestly that isn't it. 

Personally, the reason I didn't dive into this and buy the books and just, shove my head into the Halo ocean, is because I was ticked. Angry that 343 had decided to bring in a plot point that was brought up a in a series that, honestly, did a lot of people read? A point that, if it was important as they made it seem, why have it only be skirted over in a CGI cut scene? Then be told then you have to search out a book to get the full backstory? 

Listen I hate to say this, and I hate to be the person who bares this, but that's not good storytelling. That is locking a detail of a major story behind having to buy and put time into another medium. For the dedicated fans, that's great. They most likely will, and get the most out of it. But for those players who only pay attention to surface lore, they will be probably confused all the way through. Wondering why this feels so out of place, what it's supposed to mean, etc. 

Fans So What's the Story in Halo Infinite 343 | Halo Meme on ME.ME

(image credit me.me)

Now, what can 343 in the future do to fix this? Well, an easy thing to say is to remove huge plot points from ancillary novels and leave their books, while still canon, only including side stories. Small thing that can be referenced in small bits of game, to give as a small gift to those who follow your canon and side stories. But also, if you do choose to still add canon into your side content 343 (as if they are even listening???) then I highly suggest you do the following, in nice little list form! 

  1. Add a disclaimer when you announce a new, say, novel. "This is the official prequel to Halo 25!" or "This follows character X, who appears in the upcoming Halo 32!" In order to give context, so people know a broad idea of what the book is covering 
  2. And oh boy, this is the biggest one that no one is going to see coming, but JUST DON'T DO IT. Now, stay with me here as yes, I did mention this in the earlier paragraph. But, it's a simple fix, and other titles have done it to an amazing degree. Put it in collectible files, hide it behind character dialogue or even just put it as a side quest since it looks like Infinite is doing that, which is an amazing first start. The side quest thing, I swear I cannot tell the future of Halo.
As I end this rant, and I'm so sorry it came to this, the topic of story in games is extremely important to me. I believe gaming should be something everybody can get into, and that also works in the story aspect. Make games accessible when it comes to the story is an easier said then done task, but when done correctly, you can make a world lush and full of great story and details. And yes, that does mean you can add ancillary details and things from books and novels. 

Just do right, please? 

I mean if your still here how about getting 343 to add Buck into more things? please? I KNOW YOUR LISTENING.  

UPDATE; wanted to thank a good bro Mak for helping me with the plot questions I had. Can confirm I was so mad I forgot some of the plot talked about in the scene! Thanks for the help, my dude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment